Our feline friends have a unique way of communicating with us, and we love them for it! Cats have different personalities and no two cats are the same. When it comes to bonding with your purr-fect kitty, here are some tips that our team here at Animal Works have compiled to help you “speak their language.”
- The head bump. It’s their way of saying hello, by using the oil glands in front of their ears to greet you as if you’re a cat and leave their scent on you. They see you as one of their clan, so bump them right back.
- The butt presentation. When your cat backs up to your face and lifts their tail, they’re waiting for you, their parent, to clean them. If you gently blow at their rear end, they’ll think that this is what your cleaning style is and will go on about their business.
- Kneading you or “making biscuits.” If you maneuver yourself into the right position, you’ll get a free massage out of this one. This is another sign that Kitty-Face thinks you’re their mom, since they’re trying to get milk out of you. It also means they’re happy.
- Licking you. Your cat may think you taste good, but grooming is actually a social practice to establish a common scent among a clan of cats. In other words, they’re claiming you as one of their own. The exfoliation is an extra added bonus.
- Gumming you. This is another way Kitty-Face blends their own scent with yours, establishing a common “family scent.” Take advantage of it by feeling all of their teeth to gain their trust for when you actually need to be in their mouth.
- Sing to them. In your little kitty voice. Whether you have talent or not. They don’t care.
- Greet them. Tell them “hi” and say their name, even if you just saw them a minute ago. They’re choosing to be near you, which is a big deal to a cat.
- Meow back. Imitate their sound exactly, and they’ll think you’re one of their kind.
- Carry on a conversation. They meow, you talk. Just make up what they’re asking and answer what you think they wants to know.
- Tell them what they want to hear. Cats seem to know what the word “beautiful” means, especially in reference to them. Hearing it makes them very content.
- Give them a neck massage. Kitties are very alert and watchful, holding their head up almost constantly. Relax them with a gentle neck massage.
- Hold their hand. Stroke their paw, both on top and underneath on their toe pads, and loosely wrap your hand around their paw. This should feel good to both of you.
- Play fetch. Cats like this game almost as much as dogs, especially Bombays. Rather than balls, toss items they can easily fit into their small mouths, like toy mice.
- Turn the faucet on. Drinking water is good for your cat, and is even more fun from a running tap. Plus a flowing stream encourages water play.
- Indulge their sense of fun. Being brought a palmetto bug may not be much fun for you, but it’s Kitty-Face’s way of showing you what a great hunter they are and that you’re worthy of their prey. And in the world of kitty, that’s a very big compliment.
All cats are different. It’s best to learn their personality and find what your cat likes best. Speak their language and the two of you will have a long, happy life together. If you have any questions about your feline friend, please contact us!